Recently for the past 4 years I worked with a major retailer in Canada, and had one of the better trainers I have experienced. Some of the key qualities I noticed:
- Understanding of staff's knowledge, or possible lack thereof
- Confident in his knowledge
- Open to handling criticism
- Overly prepared for the training, and possible questions
- Involved everyone, and had small quick group projects (only a few mins)
- Moved around the room, not just one spot "telling"
- Involved humour to keep the mood light
These are the key elements that I picked up from that trainer. He has now been promoted and is doing very well for himself.